Reading is a favorite hobby of mine! And not only do I enjoy the act of reading, but books always seem to enrich my life in some way. No matter the genre or if I personally like or dislike the book, I am left richer because of the books I read. In order to encourage fellow readers and offer recommendations, here are the books I have read in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and my recommendations:
2016 Book List:
1. Gemini — Carol Cassella*
2. The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness — Tim Keller
Short, but very powerful. Definitely one to re-read often.
3. The Ragamuffin Gospel — Brennan Manning
4. Fates & Furies — Lauren Groff*
5. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up — Marie Kondo
6. The Best Yes — Lysa TerKeurst
The book’s subhead says it all: “making wise decisions in the midst of endless demands.” Great read for people who say “yes” a little too much.
7. Everything I Never Told You — Celeste Ng*
8. You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity — Francis Chan
9. The Jesus I Never Knew — Phillip Yancey
10. Girl at War — Sara Novíc*
2015 Book List:
1. The Reason for God — Timothy Keller
2. The 5 Love Languages — Gary Chapman
Second time reading through one of my favorites! Definitely recommend reading it, no matter your relationship status.
3. Divine Detours — Roger Clement
4. Thunderstruck — Elizabeth McCracken*
5. Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate — Jerry Bridges
This book is so convicting, even the second time around. I would highly recommend reading it, especially if you have been a Christian for a while.
6. Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World — Joanna Weaver
This book gave me great perspective on busyness and perfection. Good read!
7. Packing Light — Allison Vesterfelt
Highly recommend! Will definitely be one of my 2015 favorites!
8. Where’d You Go, Bernadette: A Novel — Maria Semple
Fun book! I loved the structure of it!
9. The Night Circus — Erin Morgenstern*
10. The Circle Maker — Mark Batterson
Great book! This is one I will be going back to again and again.
11. How to Win Friends and Influence People — Dale Carnegie
12. The Girl on the Train — Paula Hawkins*
13. The Meaning of Marriage — Tim Keller
14. Draw the Circle — Mark Batterson
15. Love Does — Bob Goff
16. Quiet — Susan Cain
Super interesting book on introverts!
17. Boundaries — Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
18. Skin Cleanse — Adina Grigore
A must-read for everyone! See my key takeaways here.
19. Lady in Waiting — Jackie Kendall & Debby Jones
Perfect read for single women and desire to be married.
20. All the Light We Cannot See — Anthony Doerr*
21. Celebration of Discipline — Robert J. Foster
A must-read for believers!
22. The Paradox of Generosity: Giving We Receive, Grasping We Lose — Christian Smith and Hilary Davidson
23. Everyone Was So Young — Amanda Vaill
24. Lit! A Christian Guide to Reading Books — Tony Reinke
25. Hinds’ Feet on High Places — Hannah Hurnard
26. Girls of Riyadh — Rajaa Alsanae*
27. Restless — Jennie Allen (a re-read with my Community Group)
28. Beautiful Outlaw — John Eldredge
29. Modern Romance — Aziz Ansari*
30. Cartwheel — Jennifer duBois*
31. Jesus > Religion — Jefferson Bethke
32. Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God — Timothy Keller
One of my favorites of the year! An amazing and thought-provoking book!
33. The Dog Stars — Peter Heller*
34. Calm My Anxious Heart — Linda Dillow
35. The Organic God — Margaret Feinberg
2014 Book List:
1. For Whom The Bell Tolls — Ernest Hemingway
2. The Fight — John White
3. The Case for a Creator — Lee Strobel
This book is AMAZING! Highly recommend for people who are wondering if there is a God.
4. The Abolition of Man — C.S. Lewis
5. Tender is the Night — F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. The Ezekial Option — Joel C. Rosenberg
7. The Happiness Project — Gretchen Rubin
8. Bonhoeffer — Eric Metaxas
Super interesting! Bonhoeffer lived an amazing life. Highly recommend for history buffs.
9. Letters to Malcolm — C.S. Lewis
10. The Fault in Our Stars — John Green*
11. Heaven — Randy Alcorn
12. Dark Places — Gillian Flynn*
13. Classic Christianity — Bob George
14. Restless — Jennie Allen
15. The Goldfinch — Donna Tartt
16. Z — Therese Anne Fowler*
The best book I’ve read this year! Zelda and I totally connected.
17. The Defining Decade — Meg Jay
18. More Than a Carpenter — Josh McDowell
19. Never Let Me Go — Kazuo Ishiguro*
20. Letters from a Skeptic — Dr. Greg Boyd & Edward Boyd
21. Gone Girl — Gillian Flynn
22. Night Film — Marisha Pessl*
Surprisingly amazing! A very fast read and enthralling!
23. The Weight of Glory — C.S. Lewis
24. The Case for Christ — Lee Strobel
25. Erasing Hell — Francis Chan
26. The Secret Keeper — Kate Morton*
27. Bread & Wine — Shauna Niequist
28. The Case for Faith — Lee Strobel
29. Unbroken —Laura Hillenbrand*
I am utterly amazed that this is a true story. Great read!
30. When You Pray — Philip Graham Ryken
*denotes the books that I’ve read for Book Club